* Postfix newbie alert *

I'm trying to set it up so that I can have e-mail addresses that are not
tied to my FreeBSD system accounts. I'd like to have it pull the list of
recipients/domains from plain text files, and then I'll set up Dovecot to
retrieve mail via POP3/IMAP. The mailboxes should be stored in Maildir
format.

Right now, I can telnet in and send an e-mail using MAIL FROM, RCPT TO,
DATA, but I don't know where that e-mail ends up. Nothing ever shows up in
/home/vmail (i.e. no directories are created, and no e-mails get dumped
there that I can see).

 What am I doing wrong?

 Thanks in advance!

  - Keith

So, I have a /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmaps which looks like this (and I
used postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmaps to build a vmaps.db file out of
it):
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   domain1.com/info/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   domain2.com/keith/

I have a directory named /home/vmail user/group vmail 5000:5000. I have
not created any directories in this folder, I don't know if I need to or
not... I saw something somewhere about using makemaildir.dovecot, but I
don't have that script/binary on my FreeBSD system anywhere.

I have a /usr/local/etc/postfix/vhosts file which looks like:
domain1.com
domain2.com

I can telnet to port 25 and send an e-mail. I don't know where that e-mail
goes. If I run postqueue -p it shows nothing in the queue. If I run mailq,
I can see the e-mails but I can't tell what it's doing with them (and I
don't really know anything about the mailq command).

Here's my main.cf file:
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix

command_directory = /usr/local/sbin

daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix

data_directory = /var/db/postfix

mail_owner = postfix

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

mynetworks_style = host

in_flow_delay = 2

# ADDRESS REWRITING
#
# The ADDRESS_REWRITING_README document gives information about
# address masquerading or other forms of address rewriting including
# username->Firstname.Lastname mapping.

# ADDRESS REDIRECTION (VIRTUAL DOMAIN)
#
# The VIRTUAL_README document gives information about the many forms
# of domain hosting that Postfix supports.
virtual_mailbox_domains = /usr/local/etc/postfix/vhosts
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/vmaps
virtual_minimum_uid = 1000
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

recipient_delimiter = +

home_mailbox = Maildir/

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version)

debug_peer_level = 2

debugger_command =
         PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases

mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq

setgid_group = maildrop

html_directory = no

manpage_directory = /usr/local/man

sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix

readme_directory = no

- Keith Palmer
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   (860) 634-1602