On Wed March 4 2009 08:48:18 Paweł Leśniak wrote:
> But then we come to definition of spam. It's in simple words unwanted
> message.

Too simple, and not correct. The true definition of spam is UBE:
unsolicited bulk email. Most spammers put out messages that a tiny
percentage of recipients want to see. It's how they keep making money
at it.

Postmasters who fail to understand what spam is contribute to the
problem, which is this: email has become nearly unusable for many
people, and would be unusable for everyone without sane strategies to
control the spew. I bet 95% of all SMTP traffic is abuse.

> Also IMHO I'll get much more "false positives" with zen then with
> authentication if for example I'd be interested in getting money and
> medicines offers. We get here to definition of "false positives"
> which can be very different for different customers. And that leads

For the most part, I don't care what the end user thinks, for reasons
implied above. If they solicited email from a legitimate (i.e., not
listed on SBL and not using zombies) bulk sender, they'll get it. If
they solicited email from a spammer, oops, it's blocked.

We all owe it to the Internet to limit spammers' access to our
clue-deprived users who might otherwise help keep them in business.

I try to explain it to them. No, it's not easy. No, I am not managing
any large sites at the moment, but if I was, I'd put up explanations
with links on a http://postmaster.example.com/ Web site.

Most people who claim that Zen gives "false positives" are not using
reject_rbl_client properly. Obviously, you do not reject_rbl_client
before permit_sasl_authenticated. But in your case I don't know what
you're saying. I think the issue of authentication that you bring up
might be irrelevant, except perhaps for the narrow "issue" of sender
equals recipient. I haven't noticed a significant problem with such
spam, which is probably attributable to Zen.