On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 07:31:24PM +0100, mouss wrote:

> >> alternatively, you can add an smtpd in the chain using proxy_filter:
> >>
> >> - smtpd on port 25 does the rewrite. it then uses proxy_filter to pass
> >> mail to an smtpd on port 10020.
> >
> > Rewriting is done by cleanup(8). This can't work.
>
> I guess this is because cleanup isn't called to do the rewrite when a
> proxy_filter is used, right?

Yes, the message goes through cleanup (and hits the disk) just once,
in the post-proxy SMTP server. The pre-proxy server just passes the
message content to the filter via IPC. There is (as yet) no virtual
rewriting in the SMTP server, and no cleanup before the proxy.

The cleanup daemon does not speak SMTP, it writes message content into
the incoming queue, and the proxy is *pre-queue*. The flow is
(notation: <process> or |queue|)

NOT:

          v|                    v|
        <cleanup>             <cleanup>