Hi Wietse,

On 2023-12-29 18:36:59 +0100, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:
Peter Wienemann via Postfix-users:
On 2023-12-15 22:17:08 +0100, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:
There is no such thing as falling back to A or AAAA records after
trying MX records. The two are mutually exclusive.

I am confused by the last two sentences. Let us consider a relay host

And then shows some examples that deminstarte that the using
MX records is mutually exclusive with using address (A or AAAA) records.

I think what bears the potential for confusion is what you mean by "trying MX records". In my opinion the example showed that MX lookups are always tried, even if MX records are not present and thus finally destinations specified by A or AAAA records are used for delivery attempts. In that sense MX and A/AAAA (DNS) trials are not mutually exclusive. What is mutually exclusive is the subsequent delivery attempt. Either destinations specified by MX records are tried if there are any or otherwise delivery is attempted to hosts specified by A/AAAA records.

There is no way that Postfix will deliver to d2 (example2.com)
before d1 (example.com).

Thanks for this clarification. I think all my questions are answered now.

Best regards,

Peter