2009/7/4 Srdan Dukic <srdan.du...@gmail.com>:
> For one of my projects I'm setting up a server to test the total
> number of SMTP connections that our postfix server can handle. I am
> trying to isolate the first part of the smtp server transaction up to
> the recipient server receiving the message i.e. the end of the smtp
> transaction. Afterwards I would like to discard the message (send it
> to /dev/null or something), so that the message doesn't place any
> extra strain (cpu cycles, disk i/o) on the system.
>
> How do I set up an Postfix server so that it accepts mail for any
> domain, any username and then simply deletes the message (sends it to
> /dev/null)?

It sounds like you've already got a working solution, but for what
it's worth I've done something similar to this before. Our machines
use virtual alias maps to local accounts by default, so I found the
easiest solution was to accept all domains and addresses, and map them
all through to a local "blackhole" account. In /etc/aliases you can
then pass this off to /dev/null. Not as efficient as the
transport-based method, but it worked nicely for us. As for the
testing itself, Postfix has a couple of tools that you may want to
use, smtp-source and smtp-sink.