Wietse Venema put forth on 9/28/2009 5:26 AM:

>> If the chroot environment does not contain the required syslog socket,
>> then why does qmgr place a stamp in the log for some message
>> transactions and not others?
>
> Oh, ye of little faith.

Ye of not enough understanding of the subject (me) is more accurate. :(

> When you analyze the logs carefully, you will see that
>
> 1) qmgr logging starts after qmgr is restarted. Here, qmgr opens
>    the syslog socket BEFORE it enters the chroot environment.
>
> 2) qmgr logging stops after syslogd is restarted. Here, qmgr cannot
>    reopen the syslog socket, because there is no socket in the
>    chroot environment.

I think I follow you Wietse.  So it seems this problem is related to me
restarting syslogd the other day without restarting Postfix immediately
afterwards?

> Now PLEASE go beat up the maintainers who ship Postfix in a broken
> configuration. The more people compolain, the more likely that it
> will get fixed,
>
>       Wietse

I will surely do so.  Is there anything specific I should tell them?  Is
the goal to have them _not_ run Postfix in a chroot, or to fix their
chroot implementation?

Thanks again for all your help.

--
Stan