If it helps, here is what I've tried. With this configuration, it creates new mailboxes, even for invalid users. I tried adding a line to the end of the virtual file (@abc.local j...@abc.local) as a catch-all, and it catches *all* the mail, even if sent to a valid user.

/etc/postfix/virtual
--------------------
@srv1.abc.local @abc.local
@localhost.abc.local @abc.local
@localhost @abc.local
@mail.abc.local @abc.local
@abc.com @abc.local
@mail.abc.com @abc.local
@def.com @abc.local
@mail.def.com @abc.local

ad...@abc.local al...@abc.local
rob...@abc.local b...@abc.local

gr...@abc.local al...@abc.local b...@abc.local ca...@abc.local

/etc/postfix/vmailbox
---------------------
al...@abc.local alice/Maildir/
b...@abc.local bob/Maildir/
ca...@abc.local carol/Maildir/
j...@abc.local junk/Maildir/

postconf -n
-----------
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
local_header_rewrite_clients = permit_inet_interfaces permit_mynetworks
local_recipient_maps =
luser_relay = j...@abc.local
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_domains = abc.local abc.com def.com
milter_protocol = 2
mydestination =
mydomain = abc.local
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.5/README_FILES
relayhost = 192.168.0.1
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_helo_name = mail.abc.com
smtpd_milters = unix:/var/amavis/amavisd-milter.sock
soft_bounce = yes
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_domains = srv1.abc.local, localhost.abc.local, localhost,
mail.abc.local, abc.com, mail.abc.com, def.com, mail.def.com
virtual_gid_maps = static:504
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/vmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = abc.local
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
virtual_minimum_uid = 500
virtual_transport = dovecot:
virtual_uid_maps = static:504

Thanks!

...Ralph Johnston

Ralph Johnston wrote:
I am moving our email system to Postfix, but I'm not quite able to get it to do what I want.

I would like to "collapse" (alias?) all our domains and subdomains down to one, so email to a name @ any of our domains ends up in one mailbox. I have this working (as best as I can tell) using virtual domains.

I would like to use virtual mailboxes, not system accounts. I think I've got this working, too, using Postfix virtual mailboxes.

I would like to list, in one place, all the valid users; in the same (or another) place, list aliases.

And somehow have any address not in that list get put into a catch-all mailbox. I can't get that part to work - it just creates new virtual mailboxes.

To top it off, I'm using Dovecot deliver to allow server-side filtering using sieve.

Postfix 2.6.5
Dovecot 1.2.9
CentOS 5.4

Thanks!