Thank you everyone that pointed out the use of the recipient_delimiter
parameter.  It took several of you pounding on my thick skull to
penetrate it, but I finally looked at the parameter.

This is embarrassing:

I have *never* looked at that parameter -- and when the first person
mentioned it I thought "where did they come up with that?  They don't
understand my problem!" -- because I had a [wrong] preconceived notion
of what that parameter was for.

"Recipient delimiter" to me means commas/semicolons separating multiple
recipients in message headers.  I never stopped to think that Postfix
wouldn't likely care about that, since delivery is determined by the
envelope, not the contents, and recipients are clearly specified on
individual lines.  Duh....

Yes, recipient_delimiter is what I was looking for -- and what I had
used years ago to enable the "+" in the first place.  All I had to do
was open my eyes and look up! :-)