* Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>:
> Stefan Foerster put forth on 6/20/2010 5:16 AM:
> > and furthermore assuming a limit of 40 proxymap(8) processes defined
> > in master.cf, will this result in 40 or 80 connections to the
> > database?
>
> I have no idea on this one.  The whole point of proxymap is to have one
> process reading all maps to cut down on the memory footprint of multiple
> concurrent smtpd processes.  Why anyone would want 40 proxymap processes is
> beyond me.  Doing this seems counterproductive.

The default process limit for proxymap(8) if you didn't change
master.cf is $default_process_limit which seems to default to 100. So
my question is, indeed, very valid, I guess :-)

> > 2. Typically, changes in CIDR, PCRE or RegExp tables are not detected
> > immediately, which is not a problem for short lived processes like
> > smtpd(8). If those tables are provided by means of proxymap(8) (to
> > e.g. save memory on very large CIDR tables), will the tables be
> > re-read as soon as a newly spawned smtpd(8) makes a connection to
> > proxymap(8) or is it necessary to reload Postfix?
>
> I believe this is controlled by max_idle and ipc_idle.  When the timer
> expires, the proxymap process is killed.  The next process that needs one of
> the tables causes the proxymap process launch.  At this point the tables are
> read.  If you need an update to be read before the process expires, you would
> have to do a reload.

While I agree that it is totally obvious that table are re-read as
soon as a new proxymap(8) process is spawned, on a resonably busy
system, this won't happen too often. So getting a definitive answer on
that one would still be helpful.

Stefan