On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 05:03:04PM +0000, Adam Hamer wrote:

> I have an entry in the virtual_alias_maps for a few users to be
> redirected to zendesk.com. zendesk requires a X-Original-To header set
> for some stuff to work, but it isn't added in my postfix setup.

> I have a basic postfix setup with dovecot for virtual delivery,
> but from the logs it appears dovecot is not instantiated when using
> virtual_alias_maps since the alias means its forwarded - because its
> an smtp task???

No, the aliasing is not the crux of the issue when the resulting recipient
is still delivered locally, but see below.

> It seems to make sense from this thread that:
>
>       http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056783.html
>
> "postfix adds X-Original-To when delivering to a mailbox
>
>   - which delivery via smtp/lmtp isn't.",

This is right, only the local(8), virtual(8) and pipe(8) (flag-dependent)
prepend X-Original-To. The smtp(8) and lmtp(8) delivery agents do not
prepend X-Original-To headers.

> and this one:

> "Postfix will not add X-Original-To when forwarding mail."

Yes, really when not using a delivery agent that is typically used for
outbound or relay email. In the case of lmtp(8) this should perhaps be
revisited at some point.

> It seems filters were suggested to be used, but it doesn't seem a
> common approach. I'd appreciate some guidance on this - I am a newbie
> trying hard not to get too lost...

Are you in fact forwarding email off-site or are you using lmtp(8) to
deliver email into a Dovecot IMAP store?

--
        Viktor.