On 2011-06-12 Wiebe Cazemier wrote:
> From: "Reindl Harald" <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
>> Am 11.06.2011 16:55, schrieb Wiebe Cazemier:
>>> That's not what I meant. I meant that 99% of the time, the primary
>>> server will be up and recipient address verification will work to
>>> reject (spam) messages to unknown users. Those two scenario's you
>>> mentioned are when the primary is down or otherwise deferring. And
>>> those cases happen 1% of the time (figure meant to be illustrative).
>>
>> so you do not need any backup-MX because if your primary is not
>> available the edferring happens on the sender
>>
>> this is teh way smtp works
>
> Default defer time for most SMTP servers is only 3 to 5 days, that is
> not long enough for me.

With all due respect, if you cannot get your primary MX up and running
again within three days, you should not be providing professional e-mail
services.

The correct solution to your problem is not a modification to some
backup MX, but fixing your response times.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky