----- Original Message -----

(sorry, misreplied. Replied to the list now)

That's not what I meant. I meant that 99% of the time, the primary server will
be up and recipient address verification will work to reject (spam) messages to
unknown users. Those two scenario's you mentioned are when the primary is down
or otherwise deferring. And those cases happen 1% of the time (figure meant to
be illustrative).

So if you would accept mail when the primary is down, you may very briefly
create backscatter, but it allows you to operate a backup MX server without
syncing recipient maps, or have any other knowledge about it.