On 1/9/2012 6:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.01.2012 22:07, schrieb Noel Jones:
>> On 1/9/2012 1:24 PM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>>> Many people (me and most of this list included) reject
>>> impersonation of the sender address unless it is on an
>>> encrypted submission port; this is the norm rather than the
>>> exception nowadays.
>>
>> Be aware this may reject some legit mail.
>
> which?
>
>> Feel free to do it as a local policy, just understand it's
>> not 100% safe.
>
> it is exactly as safe as a RBL

Yes, it's fair to compare this with a random dnsbl you find
referred to somewhere online that you really know nothing about
other than some third-party saying it's great.

>> Examples are web sites such as news sites "send article to a
>> friend" and external calendar/reminder services.  Airlines
>> used to do this with flight notices, but I think most of them
>> have fixed it.  Some "greeting ecard" web sites; it's
>> debatable if you want those anyway, but your users might.
>
> in this case this is NOT legit mail, sites implementing this
> way have to be rejected - a "greeting ecard" where you can
> enter a e-mail-address which will be used as ENVELOPE sender
> is badly broken
>
> any web-application using a foreign ENVELOPE sender is badly
> broken

I don't disagree that this is badly broken; nonetheless it's still
in use.  Unless one is in the enviable position to dictate and
enforce policy with regardless of
customer/user/management/owner/whatever input -- my way or the
highway as they say -- this and all other anti-spam techniques
need to be considered in a local cost vs. benefit.  Anti-spam is
never one-size-fits-all.

I dropped this rule when I realized that virtually all the spam
would still be rejected by other rules, leaving this rule to only
hit the occasional false-positive.  Not many, but enough to cause
some complaints.  Disabling it did not lead to a flood of spam
entering the system.

I gently remind you that just because something is broken doesn't
mean it can't or shouldn't be accepted.  Just because something
works great for you doesn't mean it's appropriate for everyone.

  -- Noel Jones