Benoit Panizzon:
> Hi
>
> Just to let you know if someone runs into the same problem...
>
> sender/recipient changes are not valid during the 'RCPT TO:' Milter phase
> (filter_recipient of MIMEDefang). In that phase you can only accept, reject
> or
> tempfail recipients). Adding/Removing recipients and changing the sender have
> to be done in the DATA phase (filter_begin or later in MIMEDefang).
>
> Interrestingly postfix accepts them during rcpt to,

That is INCORRECT. Postfix DOES NOT accept modify requests before
end-of-data and instead logs a warning (as can be trivially seen
from source code).

   1343         default:
   1344             if (event == SMFIC_BODYEOB) {
   1345                 switch (cmd) {
   1346
   1347 #define MILTER8_HDR_SPACE(m) (((m)->ev_mask & SMFIP_HDR_LEADSPC) ? "" :
   1347 " ")
   1348
   1349                     /*
   1350                      * Modification request: replace, insert or delete
   1564             }
   1565             msg_warn("milter %s: unexpected filter response %s after
eve   1565 nt %s",

> but somehow the milter communication remains in an unstable state.

I suspect that MIMEDefang sits on top of libmilter. I know that
libmilter enforces proper ordering of requests. That would explain
the stability issue that you see.