It seems that the local delivery (pickup?) uses the content filter which
it shouldn't, AFAIK.
If that is the case, the following master.cf configuration taken from my
installation may help:

------ snip -------

<ip>:smtp        inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
    -o content_filter=myspamfilter
    -o receive_override_options=no_address_mappings,no_milters

<ip>:587         inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

[<ip6>]:smtp inet n -  n       -       -       smtpd
    -o content_filter=myspamfilter
    -o receive_override_options=no_address_mappings,no_milters

[<ip6>]:587 inet n -  n        -       -       smtpd

127.0.0.1:smtp  inet    n -      n       -       -      smtpd
[::1]:smtp      inet    n -      n       -       -      smtpd

[...]

myspamfilter unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
        flags=Rq user=debian-spamd argv=/etc/postfix/spamchk -oi -f ${sender}
${recipient}

The result is that only mail submitted on port 25 is piped through the
content filter (in my case a shell script involving SpamAssassin and
sendmail, similar to the mentioned README). Mail on 587 from users and
from localhost is not filtered.