Am 16.09.2014 um 21:48 schrieb Philip Prindeville:
> On Sep 14, 2014, at 2:17 AM, li...@rhsoft.net wrote:

>>> Who says anything about mail servers?
>>
>> the topic by definition
>

> Really?  I missed the part where the topic said "MTA-to-MTA exclusively"

logical conclusion because a MUA is using all sort of weird HELO names
and typically falls into "permit_mynetworks" or "permit_sasl_authenticated"
since it needs one of both to send mail outside the own domain without
setup a open relay

>>> What if it’s an MUA doing this?
>>
>> a MUA is using authentication and that is why you have
>> *permit_sasl_authenticated* before such restrictions
>

> It’s why you MIGHT have it.  You’re not required to by any protocol standard
> or universal policy.

it's a common setup

>> see the last paragraph of my post which refers to default settings
>> and behavior of postfix, so the next time please hestitate to step
>> into a topic saying something is completly reasonable by lack
>> understand the topic
>
> Or perhaps you could be more specific and a little less arrogant.
>
> The default settings you mentioned were for the RECEIVING MTA. That receiving
> MTA might be
> speaking to either a SENDING MTA or a SUBMITTING MUA.

i am not the OP

the OP pretty clear talked about MTA to MTA by context
i just refused "it is reasonable" in the context

> And maybe you’re the one lacking understanding of the FULL SCOPE in which
> these settings might be used.

no - such settings are by definition for MTA-to-MTA because
any of them would break most MUA in general

>>> It’s EASIER to do if you know your topology. It’s impossible to do
>>> with absolute certainty if you don’t
>>
>> if you don't know your topology don't setup a MTA
>
> Again, you’re confounding things.  This is a setting on the RECEIVING MTA.

and only a sending MTA completly weird configured is affected
a MUA has different settings and should not use port 25 at all

> A “EHLO” transaction is generated, by DEFINITION, from either a SENDING MTA
> or a SUBMITTING MUA, which the RECEIVING MTA has no control over.

yes, but that don't change the fact that MUA and MTA senders are handeled
different

>>> Again, it’s not just MTA’s which speak SMTP…
>>
>> again - only MTA's have to deliver unauthenticated mail
>
> But they have to communicate with both sending MTA’s and submitting MUA’s

not in the context

> You don’t know if you’re in the delivery step until AFTER you’ve seen the
> EHLO, AFTER you’ve seen the MAIL
> FROM, AFTER you’ve seen the RCPT TO, and AFTER you’ve seen the DOT (since
> their might be restrictions on
> content type, content length, etc).

that's why postfix makes the decision AFTER all of that

> So whether it’s ultimately a delivery transaction or not is not determined at
> the moment an MTA has seen an EHLO…

no

>>> What if you’re on an ISP (like Comcast residential) which won’t give you a
>>> fixed address?
>>
>> than you don't have to run a MTA, hence that rules
>> if you runa MTA there then you have to use a smarthost for delivery
>
> AGAIN, the controls you’re talking about are about the RECEIVING MTA getting
> a specific type of EHLO which is generated BY THE REMOTE SIDE.

AGAIN a MUA is handeled different to a MTA

> This has nothing to do with the configuration of the receiving MTA and
> everything to do with the REMOTE PEER.
> Which part of this should I draw a picture for?

no need

>> if you are a legit MUA you have to use SMTP auth and so the
>> rule sdon't affect you
>
> You’re confusing both sending and receiving roles, and failing to
> differentiate
> per-site policy from protocol (which is universal).

i confuse nothing, i have both in mind and which rules can be applied and how

>>> Yeah, all the time. Each of the company employees when
>>> he’s out-of-office and connecting remotely.
>>
>> that is pure bullshit in that case they are using SMTP
>> authentication and so they are not affected by MTA rules
>> or otherwise fire your mailadmin
>>
>> please come back after read some prerequisite for a topic like this
>
> I’ve been doing this a long time…  I’ve contributed to Thunderbird, Fedora,
> Sendmail, Postfix, MMDF, Qmailer, Cyrus, MAIL-11, Zmail…  and a couple of the
> MIME and Mail RFC’s.

congratulations

> I’ve also had to see a great many corner cases.

me too

>>> You’re forgetting that UNTIL you’ve seen the MAIL FROM and RCPT TO,
>>> you don’t know if this is a CLIENT submitting the message to the
>>> OUTBOUND MTA, or another MTA attempting FINAL DELIVERY.
>>
>> bullshit - the MUA is using authentication
>

> Not necessarily.
>
> You might be using their IP address and doing lookups
> in MIMEDefang (if the MUA’s are at fixed remote locations).
> They might be using dyndns and you’re trusting them based
> on the rDNS lookup of their IP to match your domain.

thats why you put permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated,
check_helo_access or whatever you need in front of such rules

> You might be using VPN and blocking/permitting based on network numbers.

permit_mynetworks in front of

> You’re making WAY too many assumptions.

no, my sample was from a inbound-only MTA
no user ever has to submit there a message

and as said above if you need to have both roles on one
machine there are rules to put before the HELO restricitions

> I’m not saying these are scenarios I’d endorse.  But they most certainly are
> real-world cases.

you forget the whole time the complete setup which includes
rules before the recjet rules - you need them anyways on
some place to allow realy without become a open realy

> A good design goal of a software architect is to help devise a ladder so that
> people who
> have dug themselves into holes can eventually get themselves back out again.
>
> You’re overly restrictive assumptions would effectively nail a lid on that
> hole.  Not good.
> Certainly not helpful.

for a inbound message where all rules before saing "that is not one
of my legit users" - surely

>>> So you can’t block on the HELO because that’s way too early
>>
>> bullshit - http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_delay_reject
>>
>> smtpd_delay_reject (default: yes)
>>  Wait until the RCPT TO command before evaluating $smtpd_client_restrictions,
>>  $smtpd_helo_restrictions and $smtpd_sender_restrictions, or wait until the
>>  ETRN command before evaluating $smtpd_client_restrictions
>>  and $smtpd_helo_restrictions
>>
>> smtpd_helo_restrictions =
>> check_helo_access proxy:regexp:/etc/postfix/blacklist_helo.cf
>> check_sender_access proxy:hash:/etc/postfix/whitelist_sender.cf
>> reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname
>> reject_invalid_helo_hostname
>

> That really doesn’t change anything: a bracketed dotted-quad is still a valid
> argument
> for HELO/EHLO, and it can’t be rejected as an non-fdqn hostname or an invalid
> hostname
> because (as has been pointed out) it’s NOT A HOSTNAME.

that is true but don't make it *reasonable* to use it for MTA-to-MTA
that was the only thing i rejected in your answer

> If you wanted an additional check, called reject_dotted_quad_helo then you
> should
> come up with a patch for this.

no need
"check_helo_access" exists

you forget i am not the OP
i just rejected your "it is reasonable"

> Don’t try to pervert a correctly implemented mechanism for your own specific
> means.
> Again, separate policy from protocol, as Postel used to drum into my head.
> It was good advice.

i even seperate inbound mail and outbound mail on different machines