> On Apr 28, 2015, at 12:33 PM, Marius Gologan <marius.golo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Shared DNS as Google's 8.8.8.8 is not accepted by some RBLs such as
> spamhaus. They have an ACL in place.
> You will lose about 2 points from Spam scoring when you use a public DNS
> causing some spam to pass.

Thank you Marius! I did not know that using Google's DNS would reduce or remove
the points scoring for postscreen RBLs. I now see this small blurb on the
spamhaus faq: <http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/DNSBL%20Usage#261>

This is likely a huge contributor to our spam increase since spamhaus return a
"not listed" when using a public DNS.

> Spamassassin (SA) uses many RBL services checking Domain & IP of the Sender;
> Domains, IPs and Name Servers in URLs. One email may generate even more than
> 10 RBL queries. Due that, SA has a protection in order to prevent flooding
> those service providers. You may consider reducing the amavis throttle from
> Postfix's master.cf, by reducing the no of processes.
> In addition, network tests such as Pyzor, Razor2 and DCC require these ports
> to be opened: out 6277 UDP - DCC service, out 2703 TCP - Razor2 service, out
> 24441 UDP - Pyzor service.

Do most who use postfix/amavisd-new/spamassassin also use shared services like
pyzor?

> I heard many saying that Spamassassin is weak, while they don't understand
> how it works.
>
> Bottom line, a machine with 2 GB of RAM can easily handle 10k-15k messages a
> day.

Good info to hear.

Thanks,
-Terry