From: Marius Gologan [mailto:marius.golo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:34 PM
To: 'Terry Barnum'
Cc: 'postfix users'
Subject: RE: spam fighting

Shared DNS as Google's 8.8.8.8 is not accepted by some RBLs such as
spamhaus. They have an ACL in place.
You will lose about 2 points from Spam scoring when you use a public DNS
causing some spam to pass.

Spamassassin (SA) uses many RBL services checking Domain & IP of the Sender;
Domains, IPs and Name Servers in URLs. One email may generate even more than
10 RBL queries. Due that, SA has a protection in order to prevent flooding
those service providers. You may consider reducing the amavis throttle from
Postfix's master.cf, by reducing the no of processes.
In addition, network tests such as Pyzor, Razor2 and DCC require these ports
to be opened: out 6277 UDP - DCC service, out 2703 TCP - Razor2 service, out
24441 UDP - Pyzor service.

I heard many saying that Spamassassin is weak, while they don't understand
how it works.

Bottom line, a machine with 2 GB of RAM can easily handle 10k-15k messages a
day.