Hi Wietse,

I limited my postfix installation to default_process_limit 5, 4, 3, 2, and
even 1, and still saw the same effects. I am thinking it might be either my
opendkim milter (which applies the DKIM signature for each mail) or SASL as
these are the only other processes on the server. Are you aware of any
issues with either related to I/O? I have not seen any configuration
settings for opendkim to do any performance throttling.

I am still dumbfounded how this continues to occur. I am not sending mail
in large quantity - maybe 7,000-8,000 total - just in a short amount of
time. The I/O shouldn't be THAT high... at least not to leave the server
unresponsive... the mail client connects to my server every evening (around
midnight) and sends mails in a burst fashion within an hour or so.

I did as you suggested and opened a console on the VMWare host, did a tail
of the mail log, and it sent mail for a good 5-10 minutes before finally
becoming unresponsive. I tried to Ctrl-C out of tail, nothing. I've done
the same monitoring with top and still see no culprit for the sudden halt.
I check syslog and other logs on the server and see no crashes or panics.

Any other ideas what might be causing this? Further debugging I can do?

Thanks

--
This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for
the individuals named. If you are not the named addressee you should not