On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 01:20:13PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I'm looking at implementing a rule to discard all
> four-letter-and-above TLDs except whitelisted ones, because I'm tired
> of playing whack-a-mole.

I'd like to strongly advise against filtering by TLD.  This is a very
low quality signal.  There is no shortage of abuse mail from the
traditional gTLDs, and also a non-trivial quantity of legitimate
email from new gTLDs.

Most of the ".brand" gTLDs are not open for public registration of
subdomains, and if say citibank decided to send email from a ".citi"
subdomain, that'd be just fine.  They should be able to use the gTLD
they control.

For example, the ".info" and ".name" gTLDs are established sources of
legitimate email.  Looking at DANE-enabled domains, which junk mail
senders are unlikely to bother setting up, I see the following top 30
domain counts by TLD, indicating a population of non-abusive domains.

   6389 info
   3397 online
   1231 shop
    941 email
    825 amsterdam
    784 site
    715 cloud
    561 tech
    531 store
    402 world
    360 swiss
    330 name
    283 work
    248 space
    235 studio
    229 club
    212 agency
    197 blog
    190 academy
    185 family
    164 rocks
    158 design
    153 link
    150 live
    144 network
    138 media
    127 tips
    122 company
    120 solutions
    113 life

To filter junk mail, deploy better content-based filters.

--
    Viktor.