On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 09:12:40PM -0500, Tyler Montney wrote:

> I am doing a deep dive on mail hosting and this includes Postfix. I have
> quite a number of questions about Postfix. Is this the best place to get
> those answered?
>
> To give a sample:
>
>    - What does 'private' mean for master.cf? Documentation is quite scarce.
>    I can tell it doesn't apply to inet, but how does that affect other service
>    types?

Internal services, including all mail transports are private.  The
public services are in aid of command-line tools like postdrop(1)
and postqueue(1) to allow local users to interact with a small
set of special services.

>    - For unprivileged (master.cf again)
>       - "root privileges or as the owner": Is this the same permissions
>          level? What is an example of "the owner"?

The only services that need retain privileges after pre-jail
initialisation are local(8), virtual(8) and pipe(8), because they
subsequently need to be able to switch to an appropriate uid/gid.

Otherwise, services should drop privileges.

>    - If a service is unprivileged, who does it run as?

It runs as $mail_owner (typically "postfix").

>    - What makes a service 'sleep'? (referring to 'wakeup')

Not having any active requests.  Only specific services
need wakeup.  If it does not have a wakeup timer in the
stock master.cf, then no wakeup should be specified,
otherwise there should be a wakeup.

The services that need wakeup are:

    - qmgr
    - pickup
    - tlsmgr
    - flush

The last of these is only needed if you support ETRN, which
I generally disable and set "fast_flush_domains" empty if
not empty by default (because relay_domains is empty).

--
    Viktor.