> These points were created from a GPX file along a road journey so they
> crudely map to a line string

"Map matching" is the term often used to describe the process of assigning
noisy Gpx points to underlying road network.

> I was thinking compute the KNN distance for each point and remove those that
> have a KNN < a threshold (say 100 metres)

Not sure what your data is like-

Perhaps look at st_linesubstring where you can use generate series to produce a
sequence of relative positions

> Is that the best way to go about it?**************

You may need to explore different methods - a method that works with your
training dataset may not work so great on other Gpx datasets that were
collected under different conditions