Postgis is not limited to 32bit - however, on Windows, the existing 1.5x installers only work properly in the 32bit version of PostgreSQL. I guess there are no technical reasons for this limitation, just a packaging issue. I think Postgis 2.0x will also ship in 64bit versions on Windows.

So if you are on 64bit Windows, you should install 32bit PostgreSQL with the spatial extensions.

Andreas