Steve Bennett wrote:

I hacked up some quick code to see the effect of simply not being able
to make junctions with ways that only have those basic tags. So far,
so good. Question is: what's the best way to let the user control
this?

My (very) strong preference is not to introduce another mode or extra configurable options. That way lies JOSM. :)

So I'd suggest:

6) Implement a proper filtering system that both hides the filtered
objects and avoids junctions with them. (Me, I'm not fussed about
seeing the unwanted objects.)

because we already have it: it's simply a custom stylesheet. As long as you don't include a !:drawn rule, then the offending items simply won't show up. The new @import syntax means there's no need to reinvent the wheel for most of it. There's already support for assigning keypresses to stylesheets.

We have an awesome stylesheet engine (even if I do say so myself) - let's use it.

cheers
Richard