On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>If there's any gotchas let me know.
Ok, since you asked:

"First you need to get a copy of the potlatch2 repository from
somewhere. It doesn't really matter where it comes from..."
"There's many different ways to share your changes with the rest of
the world..."

These are not good words to reassure the newcomer that these
instructions are simple will take him where he wants to go :)

> The github.com account is optional. When it comes to publishing your
> changes then yes, you do need to put them somewhere public, whether
> that be on github[1], another server, your own server, or where ever
> suits. When you have something published then just let one of us know
> where (e.g. by emailing the list) and we can start reviewing and
> incorporating your code.

I find this bit of using git somewhat deflating. With SVN, I was able
to commit my changes into "the" repository. Although the changes
weren't immediately in the production release (fortunately), other
developers would immediately see them next time they did an update.
Perhaps it's irrational, but committing to "the" repository is a lot
more satisfying than publishing to my own private repository and
hoping that someone comes along and takes a look.

Before:
svn commit

After:
git commit
Email list
Andy, Richard, or someone (who are the code reviewers, anyway?)
reviews changes, optionally accepts.

> If you need a hand with any of this just give me a shout, I'm more
> than happy to help.

I guess I'll have to try the github fork/clone thing again and see
what goes wrong again.

Steve