On 31/08/11 10:46, Steve Bennett wrote:

I find this bit of using git somewhat deflating. With SVN, I was able
to commit my changes into "the" repository. Although the changes
weren't immediately in the production release (fortunately), other
developers would immediately see them next time they did an update.
Perhaps it's irrational, but committing to "the" repository is a lot
more satisfying than publishing to my own private repository and
hoping that someone comes along and takes a look.

Before:
svn commit

After:
git commit
Email list
Andy, Richard, or someone (who are the code reviewers, anyway?)
reviews changes, optionally accepts.

So basically you're complaining that your edits now have to be reviewed before they are merged and you can't ram them down people's throats anymore?

There's no need to hope that somebody comes along and takes a look though - that's why you send pull requests, whether on github or by email. That's you saying "hey, I've got something good here I'd like you to consider for Potlatch" and then your change can be considered for inclusion.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/