FWIW - right now I can connect to the public IPv4 address for
nc.emanuel-loos.eu <http://nc.emanuel-loos.eu/> (185.128.244.57), only the
onion service @
http://jlw3fkl2xecpqarvz3qavyl7d7m43j5swxjskofhtdgb6f2cfp2cccid.onion/index.php/login

<http://jlw3fkl2xecpqarvz3qavyl7d7m43j5swxjskofhtdgb6f2cfp2cccid.onion/index.php/login>
 is responding. The public IPv4 address refuses connections.

Assuming the onion service points to the same apache2 backend and it actually
works beyond just loading the login page, this would seem to point to an issue
with your pound instance - maybe it is no longer running due to a crash or you
stopped it deliberately. Once you verify it is running, you could also try to
attach an strace to pound's PID to see what is happening when you make a
request to it and/or when it is hammering your CPU like you mentioned below.

-T

P.S. Kudos to you for being aware of the power of self-hosting and trying to
learn more about it. It feels like an overlooked concept with younger
generations so it’s refreshing to see sentiments like yours