I use a GV 56k Modem Ethernet card (Model A959, which is also usable with
PCs) for my on the road needs and have the side benefit of being able to
connect to my network via Ethernet.  The 10BaseT networking capabilities
are worth the price of the card as they allow me to transfer data and
programs directly over my network with a simple plug in of a Cat5 cable and
a couple of control panel/chooser settings. I bought mine through eBay for
$40, which might be a bit high, but it was guaranteed not DOA and worked
great after I downloaded the version 3.0.2 upgrade (includes a full
installer) and then upgraded to the latest version. (3.0.6)

It uses a single card slot. (I'm not sure if it is a Type 1 or Type 2 size,
but it doesn't block the second slot, so it's not a type 3.) It has very
low power draw (I noticed no difference in battery life with it running.)
and doesn't need an external power supply. (I'm checking into a cellular
adapter to give me completely self contained internet capabilities when I'm
away from civilization.)

David Allen