>I want to know what pc card modems and or lan cards people are using on
>5300's or 190's?
>
>I have a TDK 2814 but I want to upgrade to a 56k with Lan (10/100)
>capabilities.
>I am hoping this little survey will give me some good suggestions.

I've got a 5300.  I've used it with a MegaHertz 14,400 and a GV Platinum
Port Pro (28,800 and 10BaseT).  Both work fine except for the dongle on the
GV has a bad 10BaseT connection.  I also have a Kingston 10BaseT.  From my
research most modems should work.  The exceptions are Winmodems and
CardBus.  Winmodems uses the laptop's processor for DSP work in the modem
and are specific to x86 processors.  5300 isn't CardBus compliant so
CardBus cards won't work.  I don't think I've seen any CardBus modems
though.  Ethernet cards are a different matter.  They do need a software
driver specific for the Mac.  I've been looking at some 10/100 cards and am
wondering if they use chipsets that are supported by someone else's driver.
This seems to be fairly common with PCI cards but if it's so with PC Cards
it's harder to find out.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA