There's a link for taking apart and fixing PB 5XX
batteries, but be warned you have to cut open your
batteries to do it!

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/520_Fixes/520_&_540.htm

Definitely try the software fix first--this seems to
bring back apparently dead-as-doorknob batteries. To
fix the right battery in your PB 5xx (if you have 2,
you'll have to fix the first one, then swap the second
one into the right bay):

1-Download a copy of VST's Empathy and a copy of
Apple's PB 5XX Battery Reconditioner. The first few
times you run these utilities, nothing will happen,
but don't worry about it.
2-Zap the PRAM by restarting the PB while pressing the
command, option, P and R keys. Wait untill the PB
chimes two or three times, then release the keys.
3-Shut down and reset the PB's power manager by
pulling the batteries out, unplugging the power cord,
and pressing the power, option and control keys
simultaneously for 45 seconds. Don't know exactly why
this works with the power off, but it does. I had an
Apple tech once tell me that it drains excess
electricity from the circuitry, whatever that means.
4-Put the right battery in, plug in and restart.
5-Run the VST Smart Probe, then try the Reconditioner.
If the PB doesn't recognize the battery, repeat all
the steps above except zapping the PRAM. You may have
to do this numerous times (I think it took six to
eight tries for one of my batteries), but the crucial
thing is to pull the battery out each time you
restart. This enables the VST software to give the
battery a slight charge each time, and after enough of
these, the computer will recognize the battery and
begin charging it.

Good luck,
Don Silver

John H. wrote:
I downloaded the Intelligent Battery Renewal and it
does the precharge but then tells me to return the
battery to Apple. I thought I found a link to the Lind
software BU 500 Deluxe, but the server is down just
now. Were you saying that there is a VST battery
utility as well? And no luck searching for battery
rebuilders or any other query for used batteries. Any
links there?

=====