Scott Mugan wrote:

> Here's a really cool 1400 upgrade page with lots of hacking info:
>
> <http://members.home.net/gionpeters/PB1400>
>
> Enjoy!
> -Scott

Thanks for the tip.

--------
Common Answers to Common Questions:
- You can't have more than 64 Megs of RAM.  No how no way.
- You can't run OS X.
- The PCMCIA slots cannot be made CardBus enabled.
-------

The 64M limitation kinda tells me any further "investment" into 1400 is a
waste of time.  Comments?  I currently have 42M, I know I have a memory
module in there (forgot the size).  Techworks 24M sells for $80.  I don't
know if I can add another module, or replace the current one.

--------
Remember that you can also add ethernet via the PCMCIA slots. These are still
available new, and all 16-bit (meaning NOT CARDBUS and thus only 10
        base T) ethernet PC cards that work with a Mac laptop will work with
the PB1400 (not all ethernet cards offer Mac support though, so make sure you
get
        one that states it has Mac support). The main benefit of the internal
card is quite simply that everything is "there" whenever you pull your 1400
out of the
        bag.
---------

Can anyone recommend a reliable Ethernet card (Mac compatible) for my 1400?

I think I am better off just getting a new iBook.  I think the 1400's memory
limitation is putting me into "throwing good money, after bad".

I *could* spend a little money to make the 1400 a bit better.  The Ethernet
card is certainly viable.

One thing I would like to do, is to have FW in for video-capture, is that
possible?  I was told by Apple I needed a G3 powerbook to do any sort of
mini-DV video capture & editing.

I have a spare PCMCIA modem card for the 1400 (BNIB) along with cable to a
Nokia cellular phone, if anyone is interested.

B Yen
http://www.comet-track.com