I asked earlier about a 3400 that my dog had pulled down off my desk.
After the accident it started up, but took 10-15 minutes to do it, making
buzzing noises along the way. It also worked but, again, buzzing
intermittently and pausing for long periods during any operation. Then it
took very long to shut down.
    Now, before the accident, the startup and shutdown were lengthy
processes, too.
    So, at the suggestion of list members, I bought a new hard drive (10GB
IBM from Small Dog," and just installed it, Very Carefully. Now there is no
chime and no start up.
    What am I likely to have done wrong or what else could the original
problem have been?
    I'm going to post this to the Mac-L list, too. Thanks for any help. I'm
feeling frustrated, as you might imagine.

Willi