I'm getting some helpful-sounding advice, which I'll try shortly. Would
knowing that it took an inordinate length of time before the accident for
the 3400 to start up and shut down help in pinpointing which element might
have been out of kilter already? I didn't realize how much longer it took
than it should have until I tried another 3400. It shuts down immediately
and takes mush less time to boot.

Willi