M Forrest on 10/13/01 8:48 PM wrote:

>> Donna Pointer wrote:
>> have a USB VST Tri-Media reader, which reads, writes and formats  floppies,
>> CompactFlash, and SmartMedia.
>
> I was thinking of getting one of these, now that the price is down to $99,
> and then getting a CF card and adaptor to use as removeable storage from my
> PB190 to my iMac.  How's the VST Tri-Media working for you? I already have
> both a SCSI Zip AND a USB Zip, but I have never really liked Zip drives. I
> still have to finagle getting the PB online somehow to d/l the correct Zip
> driver for the PB. Seems like the Tri-Media, CF card and PCMCIA adaptor
> would be easier, although pricier since I already have the Zip drives. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Morgan

If you just want to do transfers between the 190 and the iMac, I would
suggest a PCMCIA ethernet card. Then it's just a matter of transferring from
Mac-to-Mac rather than from media-to-Mac-to-media-to-Mac (huh?). Plus an
ethernet card can be found for a third of the price you're looking to pay.

I recently picked up a new-in-box Global Village PowerPort Platinum Pro
modem/ethernet card for under $25. Not only do I have the benefit of 10T
ethernet but I also have a 28.8 modem for going online when away from home.

I bought this one for a PB5300 but it will work with any PowerBook having a
PCMCIA slot. I used to use this same arrangement with a PB1400 I had. I
would transfer digital images from a SmartMedia card, via a PCMCIA adapter,
to my G4 at work (or G3 at home). I just mounted the G4 drive on my
PowerBook's desktop, and then drug the images from the card to the G4 drive
(I still do this with my Wallstreet but it has the benefit of having built
in ethernet).

-makmac
PS. I don't think there is a special Zip driver for PowerBooks. The one that
installs for desktop Macs should be the same for PowerBooks)