Makmac wrote:

> PS. I don't think there is a special Zip driver for PowerBooks. The one that
> installs for desktop Macs should be the same for PowerBooks)

No, I didn't mean to imply there was. The reason I have two is because 2 or
3 years ago my business partner needed to hook the SCSI Zip she already had
up to the new non-SCSI iMac, and discovered it was within a few dollars to
purchase a new USB Zip as it was to purchase the SCSI to USB adapter. So,
since I now have two Zips, I can hook the SCSI Zip up to the PB190 and the
USB Zip up to the iMac.

But I have never really liked Zip. Just personal preference.

>I would suggest a PCMCIA ethernet card. Then it's just a matter of transferring
>from Mac-to-Mac rather than from media-to-Mac-to-media-to-Mac... Plus an
>ethernet card can be found for a third of the price you're looking to pay.

Well, my iMac is hardwired into an Xrouter wireless hub for cable modem
access, with an iBook with Airport card also accessing the cable modem. I
was looking into getting a wireless PCMCIA card, but they're about $80. I
wasn't sure how hooking up the PB via ethernet might work with the setup I
already have. I don't really need internet access on the PB.

I spent about $30 on a small (only 8MB) CF card, PCMCIA adapter, and USB
CF/SM reader, so I figure I got a pretty good deal. I won't really be
accessing the PB too much, mostly for an intense writing project in
November.

I decided against the VST Tri-Media Reader when I found the CF/SM reader for
$10 on eBay.

I am trying to make this all as portable and fuss free as possible, which is
why I was looking for a way to get around the Zips. I also think it's a
cheaper way of getting some backup storage for some of my files on my iMac,
since I now have everything I need and the CF cards are really cheap through
one online place I found.

But thanks for the suggestions!

Morgan