Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them. I thought the PPC upgrade was just a
chip replacement, I don't know if I'll bother with it if it's a lot more
involved (probably better for me to just get a 2300 or better on E-Bay at
that point - then again, I wanted the Duo largely 'cause I drastically
prefer trackballs over touchpads).

It's handy to know that the same cable goes to the LCD and sound output -
the display looks fine, so that cable is probably OK. I've only tried to get
sound through the Control Panel alarms setting and the Jigsaw puzzle (and,
of course, I don't have a start-up chime). AFAIK, the volume settings are
all on and up to max.

Thanks again for the help!

Ciao,

Richard