Hello Everyone,

I was able to boot up from my CF card today.

I was trying to get an Apple Color OneScanner to work with my PB 1400.  The
drivers wouldn't load so I zapped the PRAM and suddenly my 128 MB CF card
(the Virtual Memory volume) began to burp out on startup again.  Last time
the CF card began staying in place during the startup I used my DataShuttle
(external drive that uses the PC card slot) at the same time.  It worked, the
CF card stayed in next reboot. Its formated as a Mac disk.  First I installed
OS 9 on the on the DataShuttle and threw away some files to make the System
Folder small enough to fit on the CF card.  (I'm running OS 9.1 on my PB1400,
so I need the same version on a startup disk.)  I copied the System Folder
from the DataShuttle to the CF card and set it as the Startup Disk.

It started up very quickly--faster than ever, but I haven't tried running any
programs yet.  I'm not sure if it will be stable but I will report on futher
tests.

Good Luck all--

Tony

I assume you had to reformat the CF card to Mac so you could do this? Or
maybe  one only has to do this to use the CF as virtual memory. How did you
get this done successfully?
Donna Pointer-- iMac, ergo iAm

> Re: flash memory

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:57:26 -0800

> I currently have a PB5300 booting up with a measely 32MB compact flash card

> and it is slick.

> Boots up right away and runs really smooth.

> Anyone else have experience with this method?  Are there any drawbacks to

> doing this, I know read/write cycles on the disk could be an issue.

> Thanks,

> joseph

<<

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.