> >Thanks, Mad Dog. Anyone have any ideas of what the real-time differences
>are
> >between the 270C and 280C? My 280C has no sound, so I'm thinking that's
> >probably worth the slow-down of dropping back to a 270C. Anything that
>won't
> >run, or anything that will be noticeably slower?
> >
> >Thanks, everybody,
> >
> >Winfidel
>
>Not counting FPU, I think a rule of thumb is the 030 is about 1.2 as
>fast at the same clock speed for heavy computations.  It doesnt feel
>too much slower in real life.
>
>No sound ?  Thats kind of odd.  Are you sure it isnt the screen cable
>or the speaker ?
>
>Anyway, another 280 board can be had for cheap on ebay.
>
>Mad Dog

Thanks again, MD, I suspected the FPU would almost even it all up. I figure
the 280's lack of sound was probably due to the loose cable that's been
described before, but I wasn't confident enough to crack the case. Now that
I've got a fully functioning 270C (which also seems to have a good PRAM and
is keeping correct time and date, which the 280 wasn't), I don't know if
I'll even try opening the 280C at this point (the 270C only cost me $50,
which is probably a good investment compared to the amount of time and
aggravation involved in fixing the 280C). I think I'll probably just leave
the 280C in the DuoDock all the time and use it as a desktop.

Thanks to you (and everyone else who replied) for all the help.

Ciao,

The Winfidel

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.