Bo-Göran Wallner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Have a question regrded my PB 3400c, I recently got this machine and haven't
> done very much background "research" on it. Are there any known problems
> with the inbuilt ethernet and MacOS 8.5 that I ought to know about?
> Yesterday I tried to use ethernet but it didn't work at first, I then
> reinstalled MacOS 8.5 and after configuring to the right DHCP server I was
> online. Maybe some files where missing, the guy who owned it before me used
> the modem, reinstalling the OS usually is the least timeconsuming. However,
> after installing Netscape (was running IE before) and restarting I couldn't
> browse the web any longer. Looked at the TCP/IP settings and they where
> still the same (well... marking DHCP isn't that hard). Anyone who has a
> clue?

What DHCP system are you trying to connect to? I know on our network if
you tried that it wouldn't work, because we have to register your
hardware address with our DHCP server before you'll get an address.

If it's your own home network, that's really unlikely to be a problem
though. (And even with some rather clueless academic and corporate
networks, too...they'll let anyone with an ethernet connection connect
up. <shudder>)

For ethernet to work you need to have the extensions:

Apple Built-in Ethernet
Ethertalk Phase 2
Possibly Apple Enet
Possibly Apple Ethernet XX where XX would refer to your 3400.

The possibly's are because I'm looking at my 6214's extensions which has
8.6 installed.

On my 540 it's only Apple built-in ethernet and Ethertalk Phase 2 under
system 8.1

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona