>Well, I found my own answer on the Apple Support Discussion Boards. It's
>like I feared, the IR port on Performa Desktops is for the TV remote Control
>Device ONLY, no two way communication. Gotta get some cables!!!

And an undocumented feature of these remote control receivers, if you
zap them with a signal from a real TV remote but have none of the TV
tuner hardware installed, you can sometimes lock up your CPU for days
(well many many many hours) while it goes into some sort of weird
limbo, trying to process the signals...it's pretty hard to get them
to snap out of it.  Pulling power doesn't help, IIRC.

Not sure how many models this affected but you can test yours and see :)

Brian

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.