I am running into minor difficulties putting a PC (IBM/COMPAQ) ide drive
into my PowerBook 5300.

Are there any special conditions that apply?  Such as jumpers?  It is
factory set  to Master now, but there is the ability to jumper it to Slave,
Cable selection, and Reserved Master.  None of which seem to work as well as
master.

I am getting several odd clicks, beeps, and crashes.  Apples Drive Setup
1.7.3 is what I have used to initialize it, but even with that there is a
5mb portion that is "Locked" and cannot be initialized.  Now that it has
been initialized when I boot up the Mac wants to initialize that 5mb disk,
but cannot because it it locked.

Help.

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.