Joseph C. Sis, JR. wrote:
>>Master is the correct setting.
>>

>>>I am getting several odd clicks, beeps, and crashes.  Apples Drive Setup
>>>1.7.3 is what I have used to initialize it, but even with that there is

>>>5mb portion that is "Locked" and cannot be initialized.  Now that it has
>>>been initialized when I boot up the Mac wants to initialize that 5mb
>>
> disk,
>
>>>but cannot because it it locked.
>>

>>What you need to do is reformat the drive, but do a custom setup on it,
>>whcih will allow you to delete that odd locked partition. (which is
>>likely a 'quickstart' partition used by the old PC it was in; these
>>partitions let you save the memory state of the computer and quickly
>>restart rather than rebooting, much like Virtual PC does.)
>

> But that is the rub, it won't let me initialize that partition.  Always
> fails.

Not initialize, what you want to do is go into the options that let you
re-partition the drive into a single Mac partition.

If THAT doesn't work, you'll have to get your hands a LOT dirtier and
use pdisk, a linux tool that will let you blow away that partition.

see: http://www.mklinux.org/getting_started/preparations/index.html

It discusses how to create partitions both using disk setup and pdisk.
--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.