>Since there is no way possible to make an external cd work with this
>machine....is there a way that I can update the os to 8.1 using an
>ethernet connection?

External CDs should work...but I agree for whatever reason my 540c is
pickier than any other mac or powerbook I've used about its external SCSI-
I did get it working though, I have to have a CD in the drive for it to
mount at bootup, else no go- so something is still not quite right.  Oh
well.   If you don't wish to hassle with it, you can also update the OS via
Appletalk (either Ethertalk or localtalk).

I've updated the OS on many SE's and SE-30's without a CD-ROM drive, just
by hooking them to my desktop CPU via a printer cable, turning file sharing
on, and (from the SE) running the OS installer/updater that is sitting in
the desktop's CD drive.  I've done this at work on SE's that were on the
LAN, too, over ethernet (I put the OS installer on the server).

Slow, sure, but painless and reliable.  And once the installer's going, you
just ignore it for a while until it's done :)  It's not like the 5xx series
is super fast anyway, ethernet or otherwise.

Ethernet works too but you'd need a hub or crossover cable- if you don't
have one already, I'd save fiddling with it and just hook up the serial
ports.

Unless your desktop is an iMac or similar; in that case you're out of luck
with serial (since you have no port!), and Appletalk won't cross any of the
keyspan adapters, either.  You'd have to buy a crossover ethernet cable in
that case.

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.