At 12:06 AM 5/6/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>I have just aquired one of these machine's and can some one please help me
>as I have only ever dealt with pc's
>When booting up all that comes on, is an icon of a computer with a smiley
>face, this eventually turn's into a disk with a question mark.
>I guess there is no os installed but the machine came with no disks.

Since you get the Happy Mac (technical term for it) first, there's probably
something there, just not functional.

>So what files do I need to install an os and how do I transfer them from a

Minimally, head over to apple.com and grab the System 7.5.3 full install
images as well as the 7.5.5 update. Or, find a buy a copy of MacOS 7.6,
8.1, 8.5, or 9 on CD. 8.1 or 8.6 would probably be the best for that
machine, depending on the memory it has. 7.5.5 is older, but will get the
thing booting and online.

>PC TO MAC.

This is the toughie. Especially since it sounds like you don't have a boot
disk. What you may end up having to do is download a Mac emulator on the PC
like Basilisk II (http://basilisk2.cjb.net), find a 68k ROM on the net
somewhere (it's technically illegal, but...), and then find a bootable disk
image for it (plenty out there too). Once you get B2 booting, you can
easily make a Mac boot disk for the Powerbook. Look for the System 7.5
Network Access Disk that should be linked on the same page you can get
7.5.3, it'll get the Powerbook booted so you can check out what's on there.

>Or is the machine broke?

Probably not, just needs an OS.

>Thankyou very very much in advance

You're welcome ;)

>Please help a Halfwit.

Nah, you bought a Mac, so you can't be too much of a Halfwit ;)

>Simon

Scott Holder

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.