Hello listers,

I have a 540c that I got secondhand in great condition that I've managed
to install Mac OS 8.1 in. It runs well, but it can be a little slow, not
to mention fat in the HD. I'd actually like to downgrade to the best
System 7.x version for that PowerBook model. I have 7.5.3, 7.5.5 and
7.6.1 available to install.

The reason I'd like to downgrade is to gain a little speed and to run an
OS and software titles that are more of the 540's era for a more genuine
experience (call me crazy). I'm leaning towards 7.5.5 because it was
zippy, but 7.6.1 is the lowest common denominator for some software
(like version 4 browsers). Low End Mac's profile of the PowerBook 540c
says it originally shipped with System 7.1.1, but I don't dare go that
low.

I was wondering if I can get some suggestions from listers who've had
experience with System 7.x in PB 540c's.

Thanks in advance.

Mario

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.