Here's what Apple Kbase article says:

If you forget your password, you cannot bypass the hard drive by booting the
PowerBook with
                         extensions off. The password is written to the hard
drive on the driver partition. You should take your
                         PowerBook, with your proof of purchase (receipt),
to an Apple Authorized Service Provider where a
                         technician has the means to bypass the password
security.

LowendMac had this warning for Pismo owners, which might provide a bypass,
if you're willing to do it.

Do not under any circumstances use the Password Security control panel with
the "Pismo"
      PowerBook or with any PowerBook running Mac OS 9 (see Apple TIL
#58612) -- it will render
      your PowerBook inoperable. The only fix is to put the drive in an
older PowerBook, open
      Password Security, go to Setup, and click the Reset button, then put
the drive back in your
      Pismo.

I'm not sure, however, that this is possible if you cannot remember the
password.

While searching, I came across a link for something called "Powerbook
Password Recall." I clicked on the link, thinking it was a web page. It's a
program. I know nothing about it, but he's the link:
http://www.interactivepages.com/macfreak/PowerBookPasswordrecall

I know there is a fix of some kind, short of taking it to Apple--at least I
recall reading about it. For the life of me, I can't find it right now.

Hope this helps.

Gary

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.