Depending on exact needs, one of the Duos would be about perfect.
Especially with Internet not being an issue, as the primary problem with
Duos is the lack of external connectivity. Their primary advantage is being
small and cheap. Even a PowerPC 2300c can be had for ~$50, which leaves
extra for a minidock or floppy microdock. The lack of external connectivity
means no built-in floppy, but it also makes extended lap use a lot more
pleasant because they weigh practically nothing. I've had a 280c as my
primary laptop for awhile now and wouldn't trade it for a TiBook (okay..
maybe I would... but I'm trying to make a point). The various docks and
things may sound complicated, but they aren't. More or less plug and play.

If she needs any PPC software (would let her run a much newer versoin of
Powerpoint), a 2300c would work. Otherwise, I'd recommend a 280c as
well-written 68k code can run as fast or faster than PPC code on a 2300c.

The other relatively cheap but still decently powerful option would be the
500 series. My only complaint is they're a bit big, but since I'm used to a
Duo just about everything else feels huge. Unlike the duo, however, they
have a floppy drive and a whole mess of ports on the back.

As for OS, generally as low a version as you can get away with running. 8.1
may run on the 68k Duos and 9.2.2 might be hackable to run on a 2300c, but
they'd be slow. I've run 7.1 on my 280c for awhile now and not run into
anything major that won't run without some updates. Even software like
Netscape 4.0.8 that claims to need at least 7.6.1 runs fine on it.
Otherwise, 7.5.5 or 7.6.1 would probably run everything you need without
going to 8.1 on the 68ks. If you do get a 2300c, 8.1 would work well, and
so would 8.6. Head over to http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2 for some info
on 7.1 and recommended updates. With a bit of intial work you can get it
running and looking just about like 8.1 anyway.

Hope this helps :)

Scott Holder

At 11:45 AM 6/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I need some advice from all you Mac wizards. My sister, who has never
>used a Mac in her life, has commissioned me to buy a used Powerbook
>for her eleven-year-old daughter. Her requirements are simple:

<snip>