Two thoughts on this: one, maybe you can find a CD rom drive for your 3400
(that fits where the floppy is now.) Two, most 3400s have built in ethernet,
which is not that hard to set up for networking, and pretty fast; all you
would need is a crossover cable. My daughter and I do this to network her
3400 to my iMac when we need to share files, and it works nicely.

Beverly