On another mailing list that I read, someone posted that getting Mac
drivers for the 3com 589d (and other) cards was "trivial"
(paraphrased).

I emailed and said hey, what's this, that subject came up on another
list recently and the consensus was that there was no solution yet
implemented (the 3com cards being available for $15 or so, for XJacks
even,  it would be great to have Mac drivers).

Long story short, since the Farallon cards are really just relabelled
3COM 589 series cards, if you change a string in the Farallon
drivers, it works with the 3com 589x series cards too.  Makes sense,
this was all that was needed (I think) to make the 3com cards work
with the Newton Messagepads.

I have the drivers he modified, I'll test them shortly and if they
work for me as well, we can put them somewhere available to all.  I'm
not sure if it's a problem (legally) to post them since they are
modified but we shall see.  If someone would just love to host them
somewhere do send me an email off-list, that would be fine.