> Tried firing up the internal modem in my 540c a few hours ago with little
> success. Won't dial from PPP Control Panel, just errors that the actual
> modem is trying to access something (itself?) that is already in use.
> AppleTalk is set to Ethernet, TCP/IP was tried on PPP and Ethernet settings
> and no dice. The actual modem config was Internal, and "Global Village
> Gold", which I'm pretty sure it is.
>
> Despite having used Macs for years this is the first time I've actually had
> to set up a PPP connection in classic MacOS (did it in OSX Beta, that was
> simple enough) so I may have missed something elementary, so please, don't
> be afraid to point out my idiocy!

The modem in my 540c is an Express Modem - and there's a few settings needed
to get it going if it hasn't been set up right before :D

You should have an "Express Modem" control panel, if yours is the same as mine
- go into that CP, and the first option at the top of the window is to turn
the modem on or off - Make sure it's ON.

Then at the bottom of that window, you have an  option for the modem serial
port setting - either "Use Express Modem" or "Use External Modem". This is a
redirection of sorts - if you select "Use Express Modem" then any time you
select to use the modem serial port, instead of looking out the actual serial
port on the 540c, the internal modem  will be used. Hope that makes sense :).
Anyway, pick "Use Express Modem", close that control panel, then go to the
"Modem" Control panel... the only option at the top for "Connect via:" should
be "Modem/Printer port" (which is now pointing to the express modem)... select
the Geoport/Express Modem from the drop-down menu a little further down... and
you should be ready to connect with the PPP control panel :D

That's the easiest way I've found to do it on mine, as the pram battery is
flat, and I often lose settings - getting back to being able to use the
expressmodem and the serial port independently of one another is a bit of a
messy fiddle - and I've forgotten how to do it! :D

hope that helps some...

dana